Friday 10 June 2016

Overwhelmed

This week I am feeling really overwhelmed. There is no other word that I can think of that which can do it justice. 

I knew that welcoming a newborn into the family would mean broken sleep and mess and that Miss Muffet could well feel jealous and act out. ( Gosh I am a know it all!) Lots of lovely friends and family had talked to me about adjusting to life with a toddler and a newborn and I had listened to their advice so I figured that I had some idea about what I was in for. 


I wasn't. I'm not. I'm overwhelmed.

I had forgotten the actual brain ache that comes with feeding a newborn every 2 hrs. I forgot that you had to rush through the shower because babies have an incredible sense that alerts them to when you are trying to take 5 mins for yourself- no mummy no! I had forgotten about eating one handed and having cold cups of coffee littering the house but none actually inside your system. 

I hadn't realised how hard it would be to have two little people that need me ALL the time. I feel like at the moment I am continuously saying " in a minute" "no! " " just wait" to poor Miss Muffet, who is utterly bewildered as to why Mumma isn't at her beck and call. This morning she was literally tugging on my hands as I was trying to feed Buttons, while simultaneously tugging on my heart as I know I am not giving her enough attention. 

Miss Muffet is naturally acting out and pushing every single button that she can so that she can get attention. She has been driving me up the wall with whining and grizzling and climbing on the benches. I was talking to a friend about the situation and she recommended that I make the time to spend at least 15mins with her each day, just playing and following her lead. No telling her off or directing the play- just spending time together enjoying each other's company. 

So yesterday, while Buttons was snoozing, I ignored the 1001 things I needed to be doing (vacuuming, folding washing, showering, making dinner, eating lunch, getting properly dressed...) and Miss Muffet and I had a lovely time colouring in and playing with stickers. My job was to take the lids off the felts and peel the backs off the stickers and resist the urge to try get her to colour in one place or on just one page at a time. 
 
 

And it was so nice. I felt so much better not having to tell her what to do or tell her off. And as a result we had a much nicer afternoon- even when I had to go and tend to Buttons, she was happy to stay and play with her Pom poms. 

 

My friend's advice was just what I needed and probably just what Miss Muffet needed too. A small victory for us and a step to feeling like I may be able to get there with this whole raising two little people business .

No comments:

Post a Comment