Sunday 19 June 2016

Makara Beach Visit

As far back as I can remember, my family have visited the rugged coastline of Makara for beach walks and BBQs, Sunday drives, rock pool scouring and hot chocolates at the nearby cafe.

 I have strong memories of visiting there as a little girl 
When Action Dad and I first got together, I introduced him to the rocky shore and we regularly frequented the cafe to read magazines and drink coffee while the wind  outside shook the windows. 

This weekend we decided to introduce the girls to Makara and managed to pick the perfect weather for it. It wouldn't be Makara without bone chilling cold and wind so strong it pushes you backwards! After winding our way through Ohariu Valley, Buttons needed feeding, so I sat in the car watching Miss Muffet and Action Dad playing outside. 

They threw rocks in the sea and chased the sea gulls. Miss Muffet tried to compete with the howling wind by shrieking. She had an absolutely awesome time 
 

I love this picture of her, all rugged up in her woollen coat that Nana made! Note the pigtails blowing backwards in the wind? 
 

We had to bribe her to come in from the cold with hot chips from the cafe. The Makara cafe has been there as  long as I can remember, with the same menu, old magazines and mismatched chairs. 


We had a really lovely family outing and I hope my girls will grow up with fond memories of Makara, just like I have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment