Sunday 7 August 2016

A Cake or Two

One of my crafty hobbies is cake decorating. For years I  have watched Cake Boss, The Next Great Baker and similar shows on Food TV and wished that I could create these beautiful works of art. 

While living in Auckland with a baby, I felt like I needed a hobby to get me out of the house and talking to people about things other than how my baby had slept or pooped or met her milestones. So I signed up to some cake decorating classes through Millys and ended up taking four sets of Wilton classes! 

I love playing around with different techniques and my Pintrest board is filled with gorgeous cakes for inspiration. 

Recently I have had two requests from friends and family to decorate cakes, which has been so much fun and a great excuse for me to have a play around! 

First off was the Chocolate Madness cake- coated in vanilla buttercream and then drizzled with chocolate ganache and an assortment of yummy confectionary including home made meringues and fondant stars 
 

I was then asked to make a cake for the father of my sister in law. He is Irish and so she requested a large cake with a Celtic theme- but no leprechauns, rainbows or shamrocks! 

This was the result- a 30cm double layered Annabel Langbein Ultimate chocolate cake,  filled with chocolate buttercream, covered in vanilla fondant and then piped with royal icing. 
 

 

I have also been asked to decorate a wedding cake for my cousins wedding later in the year, which will give me the chance to perfect my gumpaste, wired flowers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment